Thursday, November 06, 2008

just a quick recipe


I wrote this a while ago, then lost it and had to re learn it:

---

convert -size 480x85 xc:transparent -font DemonCubicBlockFontShade -pointsize 72 -draw "text 25,55 'datarama 0.3'" -channel RGBA -gaussian 0x6 -fill darkred -stroke magenta -draw "text 25,60 'datarama 0.3'" datarama.png

---

It is an ImageMagick recipe. I will add more when I am not so pressed for time..

Image Magick Install notes:

Installing Image Magick using macports was not straight forward, I had to also install ghostscript and add the perl bindings.

# sudo port install ImageMagick +perl
# sudo port install GhostScript

I was still getting a ton of font errors until I found this tutorial http://www.gadflymind.com/2008/03/14/using-os-x-fonts-in-imagemagick/

The font I used can be downloaded here http://www.fontspace.com/category/3D,cubes

I prefer apt-get but since I'm on a mac lappy today it had to be done this way. I still love ImageMagick.

5 comments:

Pete Hindle said...

Does this mean that we'll be getting a new Datarama soon?

(And also, how do I take 132 images and combine them into one image using ImageMagick? I want to drop the alpha and compare all of them at once... any clues?)

Dominic said...

Yes it does. I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you.

Hmm try http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/compose/#blend

not quite what your looking for but maybe with a loop or even just whildcards (if all images are same size) it might work

Pete Hindle said...

Seems like '-blend' is really just for blending two images. I think I might have to write an applescript or something.

Which is annoying. When all I'm trying to do is find out what it looks like if you put 132 Mills and Boon books on top of each other.

Dominic said...

Do they already have alpha? or are you going to assign a colour value as alpha?

It must be a simple thing to do in IM.

Pete Hindle said...

It must be, but it escapes me. I just spent five minutes bashing my head off -dissolve, which seems like it should do the right thing... I wonder if those commands are only made for doing two images at a time? Anyway, I give up.