Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The venerable me

Today I had a meeting with some people from the sensory support team at a high school in Newcastle. We are putting together a photography project for Deaf young people at the museum...


[warning, long winded and emotional explanation below, please skip if you are one of my more cynical friends]


Perhaps I need to elaborate a little bit to make this make sense. I am currently working as an outreach worker for the museum service. Part of my job is to help groups of people gain access to museums and galleries. I usually do this by devising projects that will engage people and improve their lives by exploring who they are, where they are and why they are here, using all the resources at hand ( which happens to be about 11 museums and galleries folks). Because my background is in the arts, projects usually take on a creative slant with film making, photography, multimedia stuff etc etc. I have always had respect for the amount of time people put into their projects (I just help them get started really), it is an amazingly humbling experience to make a breakthrough with a group. For example in the past I have done a lot of work with a groups of young people as part of youth offending teams, at times it is exhausting and frustrating then you realise that you have managed to find common ground and actually feel like you are gaining their respect by not being loud and in their faces but by listening to what they want to do and helping them to do it (I only get loud after a few shandy's and that is generally an enthusiastic sort of loudness) . Then it feels worthwhile. Anyway the thing is, I have handed my notice in at work. I was reaching breaking point. Not with the job but I am getting pretty exhausted trying to fit my sons care into the day along with work, ptechnic.org, better paid freelance work when it comes along, MSc, and various other things. But mostly I quit so I can be more flexible with my time to look after Isaac. I also hate to do a half arsed job of anything, I could have probably tried to keep it all together and coast a bit at work but that is just not me, I could feel this was beginning to happen and that helped me make the decision. Finally to round things back to the point and a bit away from this slightly over public expression, There is one final project that I want to complete and that is the fore mentioned photography project. I have a personal investment in this. Isaac is also Deaf and I want to contribute in some way to making the service better for Deaf and Disabled people before I go. There are other top people who work there who want the same thing, but it is going to be a good way of clearing my desk so to speak.


[its OK, its over..]


I have to say I was so impressed by the people I met in the school today, they were so enthusiastic, positive and helpful, a real credit. I left feeling like I can pull one more great big rabbit out of my top hat before I go.


What else did I do today, hmm. I bought a bag of MSG, that's right MSG for that authentic takeaway taste. I cooked a Chinese takeaway style curry, added 1/4 of a teaspoon of glorious MSG and BINGO it was like I had lost a tenner and accidentally eaten my granny's laxative chocolate (again). I am sure the headache and dizziness will pass. Oh I also did not realise that I have no lectures tonight, so as you can imagine I looked quite the fool standing outside an empty room, on my own for at least 15 minutes (how long would you have waited?) Right now I should be doing lots of other things rather than writing this, but boo sucks to that.


Good night. I think I need to hit the venerable bede (go to bed) if I am going to maintain the early riser campaign


No comments: